Thursday, June 19, 2008

I was planning to be at your retirement party this evening and deliver my best wishes in person, but an unforeseen circumstance prevented me from doing so. I echo many of the sentiments already expressed by other former students. In the fall of 2004, your Technical Services class was the first course I took in the certificate program at PCC. I was just kind of checking things out then, looking for a "second career" once I hit fifty. Reflecting back on that course, it was my inspiration to begin seriously pursuing library paraprofessional work. I appreciated your efforts to cover such a wide range of topics in sufficient depth. But just as important as your thoroughness was the fact that you were extremely patient with your students and had a very caring presence. Those character traits did not go unnoticed, and resonated with me even more so than learning for the first time about encumbrances and Cutter numbers. And today I try to exhibit the same kind of patience and reassuring demeanor when teaching my high school Library Media students, traits that were so ably embodied in your teaching style. I will certainly not forget you, and although I'm sure the last thing you probably want to do in your retirement years is set foot on a high school campus, I would welcome your visit to the Alhambra High School Library the next time you are in the neighborhood. My very best wishes to you.

Submitted by Terry Cannon
terymar@earthlink.net

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Terry,

I came across a few students who started our program with your encouragement. Evelyn kept mentioning your name. I said that he is the right person at a high school library/media center. I'm so glad that I happen to have you in my class. Thank you for your lovely comments on me as your teacher. I really tried to reach out to my students as much as I could. I may stop by your library one day. Have a great summer!

Joanne Kim